Friday, August 29, 2008

Dental Hygiene!!


Wednesday was my first day of Hygiene school! It was so exciting, and I went in being a little more nervous than I thought I would be. But it was all ok. Wednesday is usually my clinic days so we went in and got all of our supplies (2 big moving boxes full), and our instruments (a gallon ziploc bag full of about 75 different instruments). We put sets of instruments together, filled out all of our paper work and basically just got all set up with everything we need in order to start working and stuff next week. But I now have an entire set of around 75 of my own instruments...like these...
The teachers there seem very nice and helpful for the most part. There are a couple that I'm not sure about yet but I haven't seen much of them yet either, so we'll see how they turn out. My favorite teacher so far is there taking over for the lady who usually runs the thing because she is out this semester on sebatical. The fill in lady was one of the original teachers years ago who started the program at PCC and she is absolutely fantastic! She also teaches my lecture on Thursday morning that goes with my clinic. The other teacher, who teaches my nutrition/prevention, as well as my radiography class seems very neat also. We're already kinda friends because her name is Joy and she says everyone calls her Jill; and I let her use my planner yesterday when she messed up some dates on her syllabus and needed to figure out the right dates.

So far, everything has been amazing. It's hard to describe, but I am just so happy there. It is so much work, and I am going to be SO busy; but I am finally doing and learning what I love and am interested in. It's weird to think that the past 3 years that I have been in college (long enough for me to be getting a bachelor's degree in December) has all been for things that I don't even care about. Psychology is interesting, but not nearly as much as hygiene, and I won't ever be a psychologist. So all this time in my UA classes when they talk about "when you're practicing psychology in the field...", I have always thought to myself "I'm never going to practice psychology..." But now that I'm in hygiene, that is what I'm going to do, and because of that I love going to school and learning as much as I can about it; because I know in 2 years when I finish, that is what I'll be doing. I'll be in my own office, with my own patients, and I'll be licensed to work on them because of this schooling I'm in now.

It is weird to explain, but I can't tell you how fulfilling it is. Finally after waiting 2 and a half years, I'm finally doing what I've wanted to since I was a little girl. I love it!

Anyway, I have a ton of homework (3 chapters for 1 class, 6 articles for another class, 1 practice module for clinic, and 3 chapters out of a book for my UA class) all to do this weekend, while we have all of Danny's family down for Labor Day weekend. I still have a bunch of classes today, tomorrow, and next week that I haven't even been to yet. It's crazy, I'm taking a total of 24 credits this semester between hygiene and UA, and I'm so busy and have SO many things to do...but I love it still!

More to come later I'm sure...

Have a great holiday weekend!

3 comments:

chlorinemonster said...

That sounds so great! Good luck with everything, though. Definitely sounds like you'll be one very busy girl!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like hygiene so much! Cute new background!

*Becky* said...

I'm glad to hear you are liking school so much. Congrats again and enjoy it all!! I'm proud of you