Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Odds and Ends

Today is my last first day of school! Unless I decide to go to grad school later on down the road, this will be my last semester of college! I don't know if I can actually describe how exciting that is for me, all I can say is that I am so ready to finish and be totally done in May.

This semester is mostly clinic, only a couple of lectures one day a week, and then studying like crazy for boards! I looked at my class syllabi last night and seeing my board exams scheduled into the class schedule is VERY exciting!

In other news, I teach the sunbeams in our ward and I absolutely love it! Those kids are so sweet, and so innocent and real. While I don't have kids of my own yet, I love my sunbeams as much as I think I would love my own kids. Definitely probably the best calling I've had yet.

Update on my Clinique products...
The cleanser, etc. is still working wonders and I love it. The powder face make-up however, I had to stop using. It was working, and I loved it, but it drys out my face so much and makes my skin look like I'm about 85 years old. I have come to the conclusion that I just can't wear make up on my face. But now that I've found a cleanser that works, it is helping the blotchy redness in my face go down, so I shouldn't need much make-up anyway. I just have to fix my face up again from being so dry for 5 days with make up.

On Saturday, we went to the Coyotes game in Phoenix with Dan's cousin Jamie and his dad. It was a lot of fun and a very exciting game! I even got made fun of for eating Dippin Dots ice cream while sitting in a cold hockey arena!
On our way to Phoenix, we stopped in Maricopa to pick up a new kitchen table from someone I found on Craigslist. The kitchen table we have now has to stay with the house for my brother when we move. So, we had to find ourselves a new kitchen table. We wanted a counter height table and chairs, since we really like the one my dad has, and the one that our friends Wes and Tiff have in St. George. This table I found was just the table, no chairs, and has a few scuffs on it, but it was...$20!
Counter height sets of tables and 4 chairs sell for between $500-800 new in the store! We're going to sand it down, fix it up and paint it, and then it'll be like brand new! It's in great shape except for the few scrapes on the top. More pictures (before and after) of that project to come later...

After the game, we went to another stop in north Phoenix to pick up a new La-Z-Boy rocker that I also found on Craigslist. It is in perfect condition and doesn't look like it was ever even used. Still very plush and comfy. It also matches the rest of our furniture. I put my foot down and said that the old pink chair that we've had that came from my in laws, will not be coming with us to our new house. It is probably at least 10 years old, probably more. It doesn't recline anymore, it squeaks when it rocks, and it's disgustingly dirty. But Dan loves to sit in a rocking chair while watching TV, doing homework, etc. So we had to find a replacement... Well here it is! (Excuse the dog in the pictures...she wouldn't move)

Old pink chair...

Awesome new chair!
We went to see The Blind Side last night in celebration of our last day of break before crazy madness school starts again. What a wonderful movie! I can't think of another movie that I like more that I've seen in a long time. Such a great story and was played so well. It is now one of my favorite movies.

Anyway, I need to go get ready to leave for school. Thanks for reading, and keep watching for more updates, as I'm sure there will be many more to come throughout the semester and our last 4 months in Tucson!

2 comments:

*Becky* said...

congrats on starting your last semester of school. that is very exciting!! OH and I always love getting dippin dots at the coyotes game. idk why, but there's something about it

Lacey said...

Isn't Craigslist amazing!?!
Have a fabulous last semester! Miss ya, friend! If you're ever in Texas, call me! (801) 472-8216.