Monday, January 24, 2011

The Big Move

After weeks of worrying, praying and stressing over closing on our house, we finally did close on Wednesday December 22. We were hoping because of Christmas being so close but still far enough away that we'd get the keys sometime by Friday so we could move over the holiday weekend. Turns out, we were wrong.

Again, since we bought the house from Fannie Mae, we had to wait for them to sign the paperwork and send it back before the loan could fund, and since someone at the title company attached a note saying not to fund it until Monday, that's what ended up happening.

We were quite disappointed as Dan had taken the day off work on Thursday because we were planning on that being our biggest moving day. We ended up spending Thursday searching for a refrigerator on Craigslist since the one my mom was going to give to us ended up being full of mold. We ended up finding a really nice Samsung side-by-side in black (which matched the rest of our appliances that came with the house) for $300.
It is only a couple of years old, and hadn't been used that much. The only catch was we had to drive to North Phoenix/Scottsdale to get it. We ended up making the trek out there with Dan's dad in his pick up and stopped by the mall for some last minute Christmas gifts on the way.

I spent most of the morning/afternoon on Christmas Eve in our garage cleaning and disinfecting our new fridge. I took out all the shelves, drawers, etc. and ran them through the dishwasher after being wiped with Lysol and Clorox. (It was a pretty clean fridge, but had still had someone else's food and who knows what else in it. I didn't want to put our food and stuff in it, let alone baby food, etc. before I gave it a good cleaning).

We had somewhat reached a stand still in our packing since our rental was pretty small, and even though we had more boxes to pack things into, we didn't have anymore room to put packed boxes. So we patiently waited until Monday, when everything happened all at once. The loan funded and everything by noon and our realtor was going to meet me at the house to give me the keys at 5:30 pm.

Dan met me at the house at 5:30, and was followed close behind by his two brothers and dad with our fridge and a few other big items in the back of a truck. We got the keys, thanked our realtor, and then started hauling...literally.

What I haven't mentioned yet is the fact that we got the keys at 5:30 pm on Monday, and our walk through at the rental was scheduled for 4:30 pm on Wednesday... and Dan had to work all day Monday, all day Tuesday and all day Wednesday, I'm 7 months pregnant, and we were doing this entire move with no moving truck...

Luckily we have great family who was able and willing to help us however and whenever we needed. We moved what we could Monday night, and finally stopped to sleep around midnight. Tuesday, Dan left for work in the morning and his dad and 2 brothers came back around 10 am to continue the move. I felt horrible because being as pregnant as I am, I couldn't do much moving myself other than a few small things. I mostly just sat and told them what to take in each load and where to unload everything to when they got to the house. I felt like a drill sergeant. Luckily, Dan was able to take a "long lunch" and came to help with a couple loads of stuff.

It was so hard for us to just sit back and let his family move pretty much all of our stuff; but since Dan had taken a couple of days off the week before in anticipation of moving, he had no more sick time to use and had to go to work. His family left soon after Dan got home from work, and the two of us went back for what little bit was left at the rental. We loaded the rest into my car and the Trailblazer and finally got home again around 11:30 pm.

Wednesday, I got up and was at the rental by 8:30 am to start on the cleaning. We had tried to do some cleaning along the way, but since there was so many boxes everywhere, it was hard to clean much. The good thing was that we had only lived there for 6 months, and it was just the 2 of us. Needless to say, the cleaning could have been much worse. I finished cleaning both bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, backyard and vacuuming by about noon and the house looked like it did when we moved in.

The walk through at 4:30 that afternoon was the last step of the move. Once that was done, we could just worry about our new house and focus on getting settled and unpacked. The walk through went well, and I bid farewell to the house and neighborhood that had surprisingly a lot of memories for the short 6 months we lived there.

Little by little things have gotten put away, organized, and set up the way we want them. We still have a ways to go before it's all done, but we're very happy with the progress we've made. We feel so incredibly blessed to have been able to purchase this home and have somewhere to call home that's our own. No more landlords, no more asking permission to change or upgrade things, etc. etc. We have worked very hard for the past year at least to get to a point that we could purchase our own home. The timing was absolutely perfect. We're so happy and excited to have our own home to bring our son home to in March. We love our home and have more than we ever could have asked for here. It is perfect for us and our needs. We hope to have years and years of memories and experiences in this home that we've waited for and worked towards for so long!

Stay tuned for updates about the various improvements/projects we've embarked on in our month of living here, as well as the current projects that are underway in preparation for our little boy!

No comments: